Do you like the idea of getting everyone to like you? I hope so, but often we all find it quite hard and some times we do the exact opposite. This will leave us wondering what went wrong, what did I do wrong etc for quite long. But what if I told you I have got some cool psychological facts which will give you an idea about how to do things for turning the situation in your favor? The following are a few very interesting psychological facts taken from several books/studies based on these areas. I hope you find it useful, but of-course use it with caution as working of the human mind is one of those things which we haven’t managed to figure out yet.
1. When people gets angry at you and start shouting, just stay calm. It will make them angrier, but soon they will be ashamed about it and is likely to haunt them longer than you.
2. Try to address the people you just met using their name. People love being referred by their name, this will bring them a sense of trust and friendship.
3. If you’re finding something very hard to learn or you’re trying to learn something new, try teaching that to your friend. You will find it less boring and as the other person understands it, you will also learn it properly.
4. If you ever wanted a big favor from a person you don’t know very well or have recently got acquainted, don’t ask it yet. First try asking very small favor like asking for a pen or something like that which you’re sure s/he will be able to deliver. Then you can ask the big favor you wanted. This is known as Ben Franklin effect. A person who has done someone a favor is more likely to do that person another favor than they would be if they had received a favor from that person. Similarly, one who harms another is more willing to harm them again than the victim is to retaliate.
5. Did you know the best choices for a first date are roller coaster, horror film or any places which will get your adrenaline up? The thing is, when they get their adrenaline up, they get more excited, heart beats faster and end up thinking they enjoy spending time with you rather than the activity. But before you do that, make sure that the other person is into those kind of things. I mean if a person hates horror movies for whatever reason, please don’t take them to a horror movie on your first date or else it is going to end very bad for you.
6. Waking up from the bed in the morning is one of the hardest things known to mankind. Well, it may not be for all mankind, but it is for me. Here is a tip for making it easier. Once the alarm wakes you up, before you try to snooze it, just sit up and pump your fists and shout “YEAH!” This will stop you from going back to sleep again. Believe me people, it works.
7. Several studies have come out recently that suggesting you should not tell a child that he/she is “so smart,” and instead commend their hard work. Essentially, telling kids they are smart makes them want to perpetuate that image of themselves and they end up not wanting to improve anymore. There is a study conducted for proving this, read about it here: NYMag
8. If you’re in a group and everyone starts laughing for some reason, note the person who looks at you instinctively. It is being said that when a group of people laugh, a person will instinctively look at someone they feel closest to in that group.
9. If you find someone to be completely wrong about something especially in a meeting or similar situations, it’s better to make yourself the point of reference. For example:
Bad: Mark, I think you have got it completely wrong.
Good: I don’t think I understood it correctly. From what I understand, it says this … Am I wrong on this point?
10. If you’re in a really heated situation, try to avoid the word “you”. The word “you” is accusatory and is not going to help. ( Source: www.facebook.com/coolfact )